Thursday 12 May 2011

February 2011

I hope that you all had a great Christmas and New Year. The white stuff that came down was very seasonal. if a little cold. Now, it’s nice and warm in here, the kettle is on for a good warm cup of tea. Maybe today a nice shortbread biscuit, but remember we must not over indulge.

I am so pleased that you took the time to come and join me again in The Garden. It is a little grey and wet today and the Garden is still enjoying its winter sleep, so there is not much going on yet so I thought you may all like a little Sunshine. I would love to share with you a trip which my
better half and I took in October to a most wonderful and unusual garden. The Magnolia Plantation and Gardens are just outside Charleston in South Carolina U.S.A.


In the past it was an old rice plantation, but the rice fields have long since been claimed by the natural plants. The main bushes were Camellias , they were smaller flowers than the ones we have in the garden and of course were flowering at a different time of year, but they were such delicate blossoms.



The house was beautiful but not as I expected, as thinking plantation I expected to see something of the style of Tara from Gone with the Wind. But not so, although it did have its own beauty. As it says on the plaque there have been three houses on the site over the years. The first house 1680-1811 burned down, the second 1811-1805 was burned down by General Sherman’s troops, and the third house has been altered in 4 phases to make it as it is today.



We then toured what was my very favourite part which was the Swamp Gardens. There was much more water of course than our bog but I checked to see if my better half was making notes for the future. It would be just great to have something like this, if on a smaller, drier scale. However there were some residents which I would not welcome in the bog, no thanks!



Here is a beautiful photo of the bridge over the lake. the Spanish moss is just wonderful like silver cobwebs, we were told that it does not harm the trees at all, they live in perfect harmony.


Another special feature is the large river that runs through the property. This was used in days gone by to take the rice by paddle steamer into Charleston. You can see from the photo just how tranquil it looks on such a beautiful day.



What about this gazebo? I did draw the attention of my better half to this, maybe he could knock one up for me in his spare time, not that he manages to get much as I always have the projects lined up.



I have not written so much this time. More photos are better than my ramblings and there will be so much next time as Spring will really be with us and lots should be happening in The Garden.

Now, I will clear away the empty cups and send you out again into the dull wet weather, but I hope you will take with you a little sunshine from the photos of Magnolia Plantation.

I am looking forward to visiting with you all again in the next issue, and sharing with you the
awakening of Spring in The Garden.

Your green fingered friend,

Tina

Published in Creative Crafting February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment